Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Trailer Review - Tink, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I am a firm believer in a self-created theory that you can judge how good a movie will be based on its trailers. This series is dedicated to helping you, Mr. & Mrs. Movie-goer, decide which movies are worth your time and which movies should be shoveled into the furnace.

Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of political thrillers because I'm way too apathetic toward government and espionage to give a flying fuck. So right off the bat, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy already has me rolling my eyes and saying, "Okay, here we go, here comes George Clooney/Tom Hanks to save the day, foil some inane scandal, and probably have sex with a some strange woman who turns out to be the killer/thief/bitch..." But then I see Gary Oldman, and well, shit...Gary Oldman is awesome. And I think I see Tom Hardy (minutes later, this is confirmed) and again, Tom Hardy is steadily climbing the awesome list. I may have to rethink my don't-give-a-shit-about-political-thrillers stance after all...

The basic premise of the movie is it's a remake of a British mini-series based on a book that starred the original Obi-Wan Kenobi as a guy who was involved in a big UK government spy scandal. Judging by the flash cuts and ominous tones, there are lots of secrets and treachery. Hmmm. I'm surprised NBC didn't already pick it up and adapt it into a shitty TV show. Oh well, there's always Only Fools and Horses to pillage and rape into a 30 minute sitcom starring someone hysterical like Don Johnson.

I will probably watch this, because it's got a great cast and cool music in the trailer. I wish I was kidding when I say I've been fooled into seeing a movie because of its cool trailer music, but I'm not. Fuck you, Where the Wild Things Are - what a gigantic waste of fucking time that was.

Anyway, this movie will do well with critics and will probably do relatively well in theaters because it has a HUGE marketing budget. Also, apparently Colin Firth is in it, and he'll probably get 13 Oscar nominations because critics adore him and his giant forehead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment