Monday, December 31, 2012

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS ARE STUPID

Well, it's New Year's Eve again. Tomorrow means it's time to switch into Go-Getter mode and swear to quit doing something that you love or do more of something that you hate. You like McDonald's? Better make a New Year's Resolution to stop eating it FOREVER. Do you hate to exercise? Time to drop a $300 initiation fee at the gym and vow to go ten times a week. Do you like TV? Social media says you must throw your TV out the window and hope it doesn't land on a homeless man's head. Because if we don't use a singled day of the year as a measuring stick to better ourselves, then what's the point of living?

If I were a betting man*, I would bet with complete confidence that for every 10,000 dummies who make a New Year's Resolution, 9,999 of them crumble within the first week. Most within a few days. And the main reason being: they only made a resolution because their mom stopped biting her nails or their dad stopped drinking and driving or their cleaning lady stopped putting Clorox in the Brita. There is zero logic in quitting when you're not ready to quit. Do you stop eating you dinner because someone else finished eating? No, you eat it all and feel awful and go home and cry like everyone else in the world.

I bet the French don't have New Year's resolutions. I bet the French wake up January 1st at their normal rouse of 11am, smoke three packs of cigarettes before lunch, drink 50 cups of coffee, have sex all over the place, and then live until they're ninety years old because they don't strut around telling everyone that they are going to do Hot Yoga thirty times a week or run twenty miles a day in the freezing cold weather. That shit is bananas. And to be honest, I'd rather gain 700 lbs and be rolled around in a wheelbarrow than have to go running on a day like today. Seriously, just fork-lift me into a wheelbarrow and parade me around as the loser who will eventually have to be chainsawed out of his house by a SWAT Team because I was too lazy to get on the treadmill. At least I'll be warm and happy that I chose to be a horrible slob.

I once tried to quit smoking as my New Years resolution. It lasted about 20 hours. Two nights later, I was out watching a Sunday night NFL game chain smoking like a Meth addict. And this happened because I didn't really want to quit, I just wanted an answer for those people who ask incessantly: What's your New Year's Resolution going to be?

Oh me? Just quitting smoking, cold turkey, No big deal.

(smoked thirty cigarettes five hours later)

Now, I don't even bother to make one up. Why fake it? Yeah, I should probably drink less coffee and get more sleep and I should probably stop luring hobos into my basement and strangling them with bed sheets, but I'll fix all those glitches eventually--no need to establish a timeline. Last year I vowed to workout more to stop my back from crippling me, and I did, but not until March. Sure, it may have had something to do with a medical expert 'advising' me to go to the gym, but I still followed through with it.Take that, America!

But there is also a flip-side to the peer pressure of having to make a New Year's resolution - there are those people who pretend that they are above resolutions, because they think they're perfect. Oh the gym? BEEN GOING THERE SINCE THE 90'S. Lose Weight? TRY 25 LBS SINCE AUGUST. This attitude, I don't get. Don't act like you're better than the people who are out there, using Facebook to tell anyone who will listen that they are going to better themselves, even if it's only to satisfy a peer's opinion. You're not better than them. You're equally as terrible. You are the same person who claims to have everything first and to have started every fad. Actually, you're worse than those poor bastards who claim to be quitting Fish Filets only to be seen a few days later knee deep in tartar sauce.

If you're going to do something to better yourself, just do it. Don't go around announcing the fact, prancing around with fitness guides and nutrition magazines. Stop doing that--no one's buying it. You want to do charity work? Go do some charity work. You want to learn karate? Go take a fucking karate class. You want to dye your hair red and change your name to Red Velvet Go for it. Just stop telling me about it.

And if you don't want to do anything, then don't. Keep eating those bag-fulls of Five Guys fries. Keep smoking those unfiltered Camels. Keep drinking that homemade toilet wine. It's your life. All I ask is for everyone shut the fuck up about it.

Click HERE to follow @NotRyanAdam on Twitter
  
*For the record, I am not a betting man for two reasons - 1) I am a coward and I fucking lose my shit while watching a dealer rake in my $20 at a black jack table because HE'S STEALING MY MONEY; and 2) I also have the gambling luck of someone playing Russian Roulette with a musket)

0 comments:

Post a Comment